Sunday, April 4, 2010

Look both ways...


Many things about New Zealand are nice and familiar with home in Canada. But some things are different - let me tell you about a few that I find particularly interesting, amusing, or even in some cases, annoying.

Driving on the left side of the road. I have yet to attempt this. Mark is pretty comfortable with it, but he has also done it before. However, driving is not even the least of my worries with the whole "wrong" side of the road thing. Being a pedestrian, is in fact much more dangerous. I constantly look the wrong way before stepping off the curb. Also, here in New Zealand pedestrians are not held in very high regard. There are few marked crosswalks where cars have to actually stop for pedestrians. The rest of the time, you run when it's clear. Stop lights also tend to take an abnormally long amount of time before the RED man (yes, that's right. A man, not a hand) turns into a GREEN man.

Buying a cell phone. This is apparently a big deal here. When we purchased our cell phones (or should I say MOBILES) we had to provide passports, visa documentation, previous addresses, etc. before being run through a credit check and then being granted our phones. I guess not just any old person can get a mobile. You might do some dangerous calling.

Wattie's Tomato sauce. This is a poor excuse for ketchup. Enough said.

Milk labels. Milk here is not sorted by Skim, 1%, 2% and so on. Instead, I have noticed the following so far: Trim, Lite, and Standard - I think different brands come up with their own names. The confusing part is you might think that Lite would mean it was Skim or at least 1%. But it was actually 1.5%. Not that Lite. And yes, Lite is spelled the way I'm spelling it.

But despite all these and many more funny things, we are still loving it here. The weather is great, the landscape is breathtaking and we are making new friends. Still no jobs or a house yet, but hopefully soon!

6 comments:

  1. I found cars were more likely to stop for pedestrians there...maybe that was just by the Mount. I like hearing about your trip. Tell us more... Love ya, Amber

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bahaha- Lite Milk.

    I am glad to hear you are enjoying yourself- but as we know nothing is absolutely perfect! I can't wait to hear about you driving on the other side of the road- I'm sure once you get the hang of it it will come naturally:)

    Love and Miss you- glad you have a mobile- is the texting free?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Laurel & Mark,
    So you guys are already down under! Say it is Ralph Dickau here, Graeme's dad. So you're driving on the opposite side of the road. Well Lil & I drove on the left side of the road in England last summer. I just found that you were on the right hand of the car you needed the traffic next to the driver. Once you got the hang of that and BOTH directions carefully one could drive very carefully. Well here is my latest joke. A fisherman fished all morning and came home to their cabin at lunch time. While sleeping after lunch his wife decides to paddle a few metres from the peer next to some reeds and read a good novel.
    Well wouldn't you know it, a fish and life officer comes by and she her in this fishing bout with fishing gear hanging over the edges of the boat. The game officer says "Can I see your fishing license". She indicates "She indicates, "No", Officer and I'm sorry but can't you see I'm not fishing!" The officer continues "Well I going to have to charge you because you have all this fishing gear and as soon as I leave you could be fishing"
    She replies "Well officer you see I was deeply involved with reading this book and I have not planned to fish. However if you wish to give me a ticket I will have to charge you with sexual assault because you are carrying sexual equipment that could arise at any moment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love knowing what's going on in your NEW Zealand life... keep the posts coming! Love you guys!
    Kelsey (and Johnny, Ezra and Lola too!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. keeping our fingers crossed for Mark's job. We like you guys!

    ReplyDelete