Sunday, February 20, 2011

Passionfruit?

Another one of the new foods that we have been exposed to here in NZ is passionfruit. Not just the flavour (which is as close as we get in Canada!), but the actual fruit. What a funny food. The look of it does not really fit with the name. You would expect some sort of lovely or pretty food. Is this lovely or pretty to you? Looks like a plastic, purple potato.


Despite what it looks like, I decided to try and make something with it because as it is season here, it's cheap and abundant. So, passionfruit cheesecake it is.

It doesn't look any better on the inside. Probably even more weird than the outside. It's this slimy snot like stuff with little black seeds. So unappealing. However, I wish you could smell the aroma that wafts over you when you cut it open. That makes up for some of the lack of visual appeal. Smells delicious!


And tastes delicious. I think it's better in cheesecake form, because when you eat the pulp and seeds on their own all I can think of is how weird the texture is. And let's be honest, cream cheese and sugar usually make things better!


1 comment: