Tuesday, April 13, 2010

WANTED: Some Kiwi friends


We have four new friends so far - I think I can call them friends. Maybe I should double check with them first....

Anyways, if you add Brandon and Kristen that makes six people that we know in New Zealand. Not bad, I'd say. However, they are all Canadian!

I guess "birds of a feather really do stick together". We have had dinner parties, gone to the beach, picnicked by a old volcano crater, had authentic Chinese tea and this weekend we are thinking of going to a National Barista Competition! Stay tuned for an update on that one.

We just find it funny that we are all Canadian! But it is nice to have people who understand you and know where you come from.

I'm sure we will find some Kiwi friends eventually. We might just have to branch out a bit. We do know the local bakery owner, Tui, who we quite regularly visit to buy morning croissants and late night mud cake! Delicious. Tui is actually Vietnamese, but I think she's lived here long enough to be our closest thing to a Kiwi friend!

On another note, we purchased a car! It's a 1996 Mazda Cappella, diesel, station wagon, with two little funny seats in the trunk that technically make it a 7 seater. We like it. And I have now driven on the left side of the road multiple times and not crashed into anything. Let's hope my record stays clear!

We find out about a potential job for Mark tomorrow and then we will hopefully know where we are going to settle. Until then, it's another sunny day with no responsibilities!

2 comments:

  1. I checked with Brendon, and we gladly confirm the title of "friends".

    ReplyDelete
  2. what is that THING in the picture? Knowing you it must be a plant of somesort- I would like to know its scientific name as well as what the kiwis call it- so get some kiwi friends to answer that!

    I am so thankful for Skype and that I got to hang out with you... thats what I 'm going to call it- because I felt like I was really in NZ...or you were really here... or something of those likes.

    miss you but am so excited to read and talk about your adventures. I LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete