Monday, July 12, 2010

A hitch hikers guide to New Zealand.


I never pick up hitch hikers when I'm driving by myself. I'm too afraid. I've seen the movies.

But last weekend on our way up to Auckland, Mark and I came upon a hitch hiker just out of Tauranga. Mark said, "Should we pick this guy up?" And I said, "Up to you!" I feel much safer with Mark in the car. Plus, that way I can have my hand on my mobile phone ready to dial 111 (the NZ version of 911).

Neil De Jong had unfortunately just had his car blow up on him. He was also on his way to Auckland, so lucky for him, we could take him all the way. I'm not sure how old Neil is - he told us he was "much more experienced" than us! Regardless, he is one interesting guy. Originally from South Africa, he has been in New Zealand for about 10 years. He is studying in the field of Environmental Management and knows a lot about the country. Along the way we learned many things.

Just before we picked Neil up, Mark and I had been talking about sailing and how badly we (particularly Mark) wants to get out there. Then the first thing Neil said to us was something along the lines of, "Guys, I really owe you big. Any time you want to go sailing, just give me a call. I know a guy with a boat." Sweet!

He also was able to give Mark lots of good info about scuba diving, since he's been on over 100 dives himself. So, now maybe Mark will have a diving buddy, too.

We made it to Auckland all safe and sound and dropped Neil off with his family. All the great conversation made for one of the quickest trips so far!

So, the moral of the story is, consider picking up hitch hikers if you are with another person and in a country with mostly nice people and maybe you will learn something and be able to go sailing.

No comments:

Post a Comment