Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Just browsing, thanks.


Working part time unfortunately means shopping part time. And by that I mean two things:

1. You have half your time in the day to go shopping and
2. You have no money so you shouldn't actually go shopping very often.

It also doesn't help that things in New Zealand cost $239876 more than they would in Canada (approximately). But since we have to eat, I at least get to go to the grocery store. Now, I have always been one of those losers who kind of likes grocery shopping, but now I get almost excited about it. In order to make it even more fulfilling (so that I don't buy other things), I have expanded my grocery shopping to a variety of locations.

I get the majority of generic things at Pak N' Save, which is like Superstore but even more confusing and annoying. It only gets my business because it's cheap. They design it like a one-way street inside so that in order to backtrack to another section you have to go through the whole store. It's not like IKEA where there are shortcuts. Super annoying.

I buy some produce and other items at Good Earth Organics. It's a fun little store that I like and one of the few that I've found with organic produce.

I buy pasta, pizza bases and other "splurge" items at either Simpli Food or The Gourmet Trader, which are two fun stores here on the Mount. Yes, I did call grocery stores "fun".

Then there is always New World, which is like Safeway, and right down the street for emergency purposes. And let's not forget my weekly visits to a farmer's market.

This is what it has come to in order to keep me from the New Zealand clothing stores (which are pretty great, but pricey) and the housewares stores (which are also great, but pricey and totally illogical at the moment). And if you are disappointed in this lame post about grocery shopping, I apologize. But I needed to vent - and you were the one who read the whole thing.






2 comments:

  1. i get excited about grocery shopping too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this post Laurel. I can TOTALLY relate! We are pretty broke right now and I SO look forward to grocery shopping - shopping that you're allowed, no, shopping that you HAVE to do. *Awesome*

    ReplyDelete