Friday, November 5, 2010

Happy Halloween and Guy Fawkes Day



Time to catch you up on some recent holiday celebrations over here in NZ.

First, there was Halloween. It's not really that big of a deal here in New Zealand. Some kids do go trick or treating and dress up, but definitely not as many as in North America. You would think it would be more popular here seeing as you don't have to figure out a costume that a winter parka, mitts and a toque can fit over. But, alas.

We went over to Jamie and Laura's place to partake in a few Halloween activities. I carved a jack-o-lantern.


We had a bowl of candy ready and were on the lookout for trick or treaters.


We had random costumes thrown together from things Laura and Jamie had in their house.


Only had about 10 people stop by, but we had fun.

The next weekend was Guy Fawkes Day. Here is a link for you to learn what it is. Or you can watch V for Vendetta. Now that you have read up on it, you realize that it's basically an excuse to set off fireworks.

We went to The Warehouse (NZ's version of Wal-Mart) and bought ourselves The Big Boom Box. Again, at Jamie and Laura's house (are you getting the sense we only have two friends? You might be right...) we had a great evening. Here are some photos.




I know I look certifiably insane in this photo but everyone else thought it was a good one.


Next up? CHRISTMAS!!!

2 comments:

  1. Looks like fun!! I bet those pumpkins were hard to carve - I can barely cut them!!!
    Looks like you guys had fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey nice job getting into all the festivities. Great pics of the fireworks, and cute jack-o-lanterns! Looking forward to hanging out next weekend!!

    ReplyDelete