Sunday, March 6, 2011

When in Wellington

Known as Windy Wellington, the city definitely lived up to its name during our visit. One time, while crossing the road wearing my overly heavy backpack, I was almost blown sideways into oncoming traffic. Ok, it wasn't really that close, but I did move involuntarily to the side.


Besides the wind, Wellington does have a few things going for it. We went on a cable car ride up to the top of a hill and walked back down through the botanical gardens. We also had some good food and drink - places worth mentioning were the Bruhaus and Sweet Mother's Kitchen where they actually have good Mexican/Cajun food! Hard to find in NZ.




We walked over to the parliament buildings, Wellington being the capital city and all, and to some cathedrals. Actually, we walked a lot. Due to this fact, the boys were less than enthused about the cathedrals. But spirits did go back up after a baguette, cheese and wine out of a plastic bag on the pier. Classy.




We left Wellington early in the morning to cruise across to the south on the InterIslander ferry. It was an unfortunately rainy day so we didn't get to see much out on the water. I tried to go outside for a bit and just ended up with wet feet. Not worth it. Oh well.


Overall, we had a good time in Wellington. But it was windy. That is mostly what I remember.


No comments:

Post a Comment