Thursday, April 7, 2011

Busy Bangkok

Thailand - land of smiles. I actually am not sure if that's what their catch phrase is or if I just saw it on a tv commercial. Anyways, we have spent the last week in Bangkok after an eventful trip from Australia. To sum it all up quickly, we had about 48 hours without any real sleep that included one red eye flight, 15 hours in the Melbourne airport and one bit of "scheduled maintenance" that happened to be scheduled during our flight time thus delaying our flight by 5 hours. Turns out scheduled maintenance actually means installing a new engine. And what did we get in return? Free headphones and soda pop. That's what happens when you fly budget airlines. One guy was so mad he started a fight on the plane! Ok, he was actually just really drunk and beligerant and I'm not sure why he started fighting, but it was exciting nonetheless. He got moved to the back of the plane by us because we were sitting by off duty police officers. We finally arrived to Bangkok at about 2:30am and made our way to Koh San Road where we have been staying for the last week. I have to admit that I was a bit shell shocked at the amount of activity still happening on the street so early in the morning, but luckily our hotel room was nice and quiet so I was able to sleep. I have been getting used to the amount of people, the smells, the business - but it's not for me. I like smaller places. I mean, the entire population of New Zealand fits in Bangkok 2.5 times. Bit of a change! Although Bangkok is not my cup of tea, we have seen a few really great things which I will try to write about in the near future. Unfortunately, we had to part ways with our computer in Australia so photos will be few and far between for the next while. I apologize. I even find myself boring without photos. I won't be offended if you quit reading. We are off to a smaller island tomorrow so hopefully that will be more my style. You know, boring and quiet :)

2 comments:

  1. glad to hear you guys are safe and sound on Thailand. I still haven't heard anything about the package- it has not changed at all:( oy vay.
    Keep safe- don't let dogs bite you- and enjoy some peace, quiet and beaches! Love you guys! Can't wait to see you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you guys have made it! Any flooding/damage around where you are? Will definitely continue to read for updates!

    ReplyDelete