To ring in the new year, we had just arrived back onto our beloved North Island from our trip down South with the family. We drove back to Mount Maunganui from Auckland to experience the craziness that is the Mount at New Year's. Apparently, it's the place to be (I say apparently because I'm still not too sure what all the "hub-bub" is about. I'm too old and boring, some may say).
The streets were flooded with people and all the hotels full. I have never seen quite so many teenagers being ridiculous at once. I only saw two girls crying though, so I thought that was pretty good.
The main road through town was closed off to vehicles and police were stationed to check if any alcohol was being brought into the beach/town centre. The beach had stages with concerts and carnival rides. There was also a first aid tent set up where we saw a number of people ringing in the new year by being passed out. Classy.
We did really enjoy the fireworks at midnight that were set off of Leisure Island. They were pretty good. And the company was also very good. We will miss our NZ friends!
Mark watching the fireworks in awe. I think it was genuine.
My Family!
The people.
Mark and Jamie. I don't know (is the answer to your question about Mark's hat).
Laura, I will miss you!
Happy New Year!
No comments:
Post a Comment