Sunday, May 1, 2011

North America could learn a thing or two about toilets...

For those of you who are unaware, Mark's older brother Michael lives in Japan. It has always been a dream of ours (Mark especially) to visit Michael. Luckily, we found ourselves on the same side of the world for once and were able to make it happen (and it just about didn't - after that whole earthquake, tsuanami and radiation dealio:*). But, here we are!

Michael is getting married next week to the most lovely Japanese woman I've ever met. And I can say that without it being one of those "oh, that's funny because she is the only one you've ever met" thing, because I actually met about five other ones at her bachelorette dinner. They were lovely too and said I was cute and had a small face. I don't really know what that means but after some thought I realized I do kind of have a small face. I decided it was a compliment. Anyways, I digress. Masami is wonderful and will make a great addition to the Koslowski women. We will be here spending time with Michael and Masami until mid-May.

Here are some intesting facts that I have learned about Japan so far:

- Things here are like space age/robotic. The toilets have so many functions, I don't even know what to do. They have heated seats, play water sounds, the seats go down with the press of a button, and there are many options for "freshening up down there" if you get what I mean. It's kind of nice, but a bit confusing especially if there are no pictures and only Japanese words. I'm pretty sure nothing bad would happen if I pressed a random button, but how do I know?

- The ladies all dress up quite nicely. All the time. Like, ladies, I'm sorry to say you can't go run to get groceries in your sweatpants. And I don't think they would approve of Lululemons either. High fashion and high heels are the way. It sounds high maintenance and it probably is, but...they do look nice.

- Shopping is loud. The store clerks all yell out stuff like sale prices and what you can find on special, etc. You kind of get used to it but the one time this girl bellowed something right in my ear, I almost lost it. Maybe it makes it worse not actually being able to understand what they are saying, but I feel like it would be annoying either way. Let's just say that shopping was not a relaxing experience but still a fun one. They sure do have a lot of stores.

The country is very beautiful - green and lovely. Today we took the super fast train (you know that white one you see on movies and stuff) down to Kyoto and are spending a few days here. We got lost trying to find the hotel, but now are safe and sound. Hard to believe we have under a month of travelling left - but I'm ready to have a home base again. As Dan and Mark would say, I'm weird that way :)

*I did feel another afterschock in Tokyo already and did not enjoy it. Fact about Laurel: I officially hate earthquakes.

Oh, and p.s. Dan was supposed to part ways with us after Thailand but he just wasn't ready to leave us so he came to Japan too. Koslowski family with Child is still intact.

1 comment:

  1. 1. Congratulations on making it to Japan!! So glad you can share this special time with Michael and Masami- who sounds oh so lovely! I hope I get to meet her someday.

    2. Your suitcase (the one you left with us) is now back on Canadian soil- it worked out for Natasha to take it back with her. Will hook you up with Natasha's contact info when you get back so you can pick it up from her.

    3. Japan sounds super neat- with its crazy toilet functions, bullet trains, and women sporting high heels at the super market. Thanks for sharing these fun details!

    4. I went to T2 recently, and picked up a blend of green tea called "Gorgeous Geisha." I think you would love it... perhaps I'll mail you some!

    5. Glad to hear you guys are taking care of each other. Praying for continued safety on your last month of travel!

    Much love.

    ReplyDelete